Saturday, February 10, 2007

Upon Unaccountable Associations

You know by now that we often have words for and about the dead. We know by now that our interest in precisely which words apply to precisely which dead can strike some of our slower visitors as, well, creepy.

We don't have time to save the slow, but we do hope that you'll go here and read this piece about dead women. We made it to the end and felt simultaneously ashamed to live in this country and glad that there was somebody else around who felt a lot like we do.

And then...

A metonymic chain. Metomotherfuckingnymic. We won't bother you with the logic, friends. We don't have that kind of time, and you don't have that kind of indulgence. Let us just say that we've been struggling with words: how to express just how little we care about the death of Anna Nicole Smith. And that struggle has led us to an unlikely place:

Please feel free to fill in the associations for us.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kenneth Burns said...

I don't think I've ever seen anyone sing while playing pedal steel. Leave it to BarbaraFuckingMandrell, right down to the sneaky, canny quote of "My Old Kentucky Home."

The effect is a little like watching Phil Collins sing and play drums at the same time, but with much better hair.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Swill to Power said...

I'm still kind of floored by the whole thing, enough that I've officially switched my erotic fixation from Louise. Who knew the Princess of Steel was actually such a blatant ripper? Her performance is amazing enough that I didn't even write anything about the appearance of the word "Mammy" twice. And that's pretty amazing.

I'll admit that I misidentified the sneaky quote as "Home Sweet Home," and here I defer to my youngers and betters, as I can't say I've ever heard "Old Kentucky Home."

12:07 PM  
Blogger Kenneth Burns said...

I saw Barbara at the 'Grand Ole Opry' about 11 years ago, and she was electrifying. Part of me enjoyed it in an ironic way -- "Look, there's Barbara Mandrell in a shiny blue dress doing a Vegas-style revue at the 'Grand Old Opry.'" And part of me just enjoyed it.

12:56 PM  
Blogger squeezychortle said...

More for your chain, Jacob Marley.

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/150150.htm

Man wins millions in twenty year annuity on a lottery ticket, then learns of terminal illness.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Swill to Power said...

Quick, somebody get Alanis Morissette on the line.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home